Type of Employment: Salaried, Exempt
Reports to: Vice President of Marketing & Communications
Important Staff Relationships: Director of Advertising & Promotions, Director of Guest Services
Central Role: The Director of Sales is a key member of a Marketing team responsible for maximizing earned revenue and market growth through the creation of a comprehensive, multi-channel sales plan for single tickets, multi-buyers, and group ticket sales. The director also develops new revenues through advertising, sponsorships, and business partnerships.
Pricing and Packaging
- Collaborate with team members to conduct regular reviews of all ticket pricing based on demand and assess areas for potential growth.
- Work with Director of Guest Services and Director of Advertising & Promotions to create effective packages for opera subscription series, festival packages, group sales, and single ticket sales.
- Collaborate with team members to employ dynamic pricing principles to maximize revenue and reward early subscription.
- Collaborate with Director of Advertising & Promotions to ensure that promotional campaigns and materials are implemented to maximize ticket sales.
- Develop and execute strategic plans to achieve sales targets and expand customer base.
Finance, Research, and Analysis
- Consult with team to maintain sales expense budget and provide periodic analysis of cost per sale ratios.
- Responsible for income forecasting for annual ticket sales revenue.
- Generate daily and monthly sales reports, monitor results, and adjust campaigns accordingly.
- Set short- and long-term sales strategies and evaluate effectiveness of sales programs.
- Establish needs & conduct research to collect benchmarking data for future planning (price sensitivity; repertoire planning; media habits; barriers for attendance).
- Analyze data from audience surveys, advertising campaigns, and economic trends to determine successful sales strategies.
- Responsible for reconciling performance statements with the Kimmel Center Box Office and Opera Philadelphia Finance department.
Sales & Sponsorships
- Generate effective group sales packages and manage the development of leads through alumni associations, universities, fraternity and sorority organizations, regional arts and professional organizations, and important local hospitality organizations such as Visit Philadelphia and Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau.
- Work with Advertising Sales Representatives to generate ad sales in program books, digital advertising, and to attract sponsorship opportunities.
- Manage product and sales strategies for Opera Philadelphia’s online store
- Manage important hotel and restaurant partnerships to maximize both customer experience and lead generation opportunities.
- Work with Director of Major Gifts and Director of Individual Giving & Advancement Services to encourage patron travel group sales from national opera companies for annual festival.
- Develop relationships with new partner organizations and sell additional products or services to existing business partners.
- Work with the Vice President of Community Initiatives to develop integrated strategy to engage diverse audiences with Opera Philadelphia.
Branding & Communications
- Along with Vice President of Marketing & Communications, work with Brand Communications Partner and graphic designers to develop and disseminate effective brand strategy and content.
- Participate in regular meetings to discuss projects and develop strategies.
- Represent Opera Philadelphia as an ambassador at various performances and events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5+ years of event-based sales and marketing experience - arts background preferred
- Love of music and/or knowledge of opera highly desirable
- Demonstrated facility with scaling a house, performance packaging, and effective use of dynamic pricing
- Strong proficiency with budgeting and forecasting models
- Successful track record in coordinating effective multi-channel advertising campaigns
- Outstanding interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, with focus on ability to write effective sales copy
- Ability to effectively work with a team
- Experience working with Tessitura highly desirable
- Demonstrated creativity and strategic thinking, with the ability to take initiative and the willingness to learn
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload in a timely manner to complete assignments when faced with many deadlines and competing requirements
- Strong work ethic, professional manner, and appearance in representing Opera Philadelphia
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
An equal opportunity employer, Opera Philadelphia is committed to fostering an environment in which employees from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive.